- Brine chicken for 24 hours (we just use 1/3 cup salt in the brine)
- Make sauce: 1 stick of butter, lots of mustard (EM: 'uh, at least 5 squirts'), you can add: spices: pepper, basil, thyme, a little oregano, parsley. Cover the chicken completely in the sauce.
- Preheat oven to 375°F, cook chicken, covered (not sealed) in foil, for 2 hours
- After an hour an a half, peel potatoes and quarter or chunk them, put them in the pan (that's right, into the drippings from the chicken).
- After the two hours (that is thirty minutes after you put in the potatoes), uncover, cook for another 1/2 hour to crisp, increasing the temperature to 400°F
Me: Elena, really? All those extra spices in the sauce? I thought it was just butter and mustard.
EM: Eh, you could do it that way, too, if you want.
So, there you have it: the world's yummiest chicken recipe (I didn't put in the spices into the sauce myself. EM: see?). Goes wonderfully with green salad with mixed in dried cranberries, black olives, and anchovies. Or you could serve with a hot vegetable, such as asparagus spears.