Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"the ants are my friends"

Received this note from my cara spoza:

Have you ever been told that you have been incorrectly singing the lyrics to one of your favorite songs? If you're like us, it happens all the time! This phenomenon is called a mondegreen, and is among the new words being added to the 2008 update of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® Dictionary, Eleventh Edition. The term means "a word or phrase that results from a mishearing of something said or sung." For example, many folks think Jimi Hendrix is singing "excuse me while I kiss this guy," instead of the actual lyric, "excuse me while I kiss the sky." We want to hear your favorite mondegreens—click here for details on how to send them in. Don't procrastinate; you only have three weeks until we choose our favorites.


Here are my favorites ... can you guess the sources?


  • [as sung by EM and Iz]Pie, pie, Miss American Pie; drove the levy to the chevy to pick up some pie. Dem good ole boys were eating ice cream and pie, singing ...

  • [as sung by Pavarotti to my Nana in California] ... elephant's ears!

  • Henroooo! Busted!

  • Chicks and ducks and geese better surrey, when I take you down in the scurry!

  • [as sung and hummed by Iz]God is bigger than the Woogie man!

No comments: